I’m Debbie Young, and I write at home in my Victorian cottage in a small, lively village in Gloucestershire, England. I also love travelling, finding inspiration wherever we go in the family camper van.
As you can see from the books I’ve published so far, I’ve a butterfly mind! To find out more about any of the books, just click on the cover image.
To be among the first to know about new books and special offers, sign up here for my e-newsletter (free short story every time!) You’ll also find a new post on my blog at least once a week.
I love connecting with readers and writers all over the world, so please don’t hesitate to contact me if you’d like to. I guarantee a personal reply.
In the meantime, if you’d like to find out more about my writing life, click the menu tabs at the top of the page, or scroll down a bullet-point summary.
My fiction has always been short so far (but I’ve a novel planned for 2015!):
- short stories of around 3,000 words
- flash fiction of 100-1000 words
My non-fiction includes:
- self-help books for authors, published by SilverWood Books and the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi)
- books about Type 1 Diabetes, raising funds and awareness for the research charity JDRF
- travel memoirs & advice about travel by camper van
- the history of my village, as part of a local writers’ group
- memoirs of my life in the village
- family memoirs
As a journalist, I contribute articles to various print and online magazines about:
- book promotion
- children’s books and literacy
- living with Type 1 diabetes
I also write monthly columns in two regional publications, Tetbury Advertiser and Hawkesbury Parish News.
As a blogger, I write:
- my personal YoungByName blog (housed on this website)
- a blog about book promotion (found on my Off The Shelf Book Promotions website)
- guest posts for other bloggers
- occasional posts for ALLi’s Self-Publishing Advice blog, of which I’m also Commissioning Editor
An avid reader, I’m an enthusiastic book reviewer in various quarters:
- staff reviewer for Vine Leaves Literary Journal
- regular books columnist for Today’s Child Magazine
- personal reviewer on my websites. retail sites and social media for readers
As a consultant, I love helping other authors to become more successful. From my Off The Shelf Book Promotions book marketing consultancy, I dispense helpful book promotion prescriptions offering an action plan tailored to each author’s needs.
For even more information about my background, please visit these pages: