Hello! I’m Debbie Young, and I’m an English author, journalist, blogger, book reviewer and book promotion consultant. I also edit the Alliance of Independent Authors’ Self-Publishing Advice blog – which keeps me in touch with thousands of other self-published and indie writers around the world.
I work from home, and I get a real buzz from connecting across the ether with writers and readers all over the world, from my desk in a Victorian cottage in a small village in the west of England. Sometimes that feels a little surreal.
I also write on the move, inspired by travels in our family’s camper van. A travelogue will be out later this year.
As you can see, I’ve a butterfly mind, which makes the cover image for Quick Change appropriate in more ways than one. (That’s my new e-book of flash fiction due out soon.)
Find out more about my work by clicking the menu tabs at the top of this page, or one of the book covers – or scroll down the page for a bullet-point summary.
My non-fiction includes:
- self-help books for authors, published by SilverWood Books and the Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi)
- books about Type 1 Diabetes, raising funds and awareness for the research charity JDRF
- travel memoirs & advice about travel by camper van
- the history of my village, as part of a local writers’ group
- memoirs of my life in the village
- family memoirs
My fiction is always short:
- short stories of around 3,000 words
- flash fiction of 100-500 words
As a journalist, I contribute articles to various print and online magazines about:
- book promotion
- children’s books and literacy
- living with Type 1 diabetes
I also write monthly columns in two regional publications, Tetbury Advertiser and Hawkesbury Parish News.
As a blogger, I write:
- my personal YoungByName blog (housed on this website)
- a blog about book promotion (found on my Off The Shelf Book Promotions website)
- guest posts for other bloggers
- occasional posts for ALLi’s Self-Publishing Advice blog, of which I’m also Commissioning Editor
An avid reader, I’m an enthusiastic book reviewer in various quarters:
- staff reviewer for Vine Leaves Literary Journal
- regular books columnist for Today’s Child Magazine
- personal reviewer on my websites and social media for readers
As a consultant, I love helping other authors to become more successful. From my Off The Shelf Book Promotions book marketing consultancy, I dispense helpful book promotion prescriptions offering an action plan tailored to each author’s needs. I’m SilverWood Books’ website manager, providing affordable WordPress.com websites for their authors.
For information about my background, please visit these pages: