It’s always a joy to appear on BBC Radio Gloucestershire’s Book Club feature with presenter Dominic Cotter and fellow local author and Bookseller journalist Caroline Sanderson. The June 2016 edition of the show was especially good fun, as we had three extra folk for company!
Helene, the bookseller who runs the fabulous Suffolk Anthology bookshop in Cheltenham, where I run a monthly writers’ group (more info about that here), was interviewed live online, sharing her top tips on current bestsellers.
- Multiple-award-winning Andrew Michael Hurley, author of our Book of the Month, The Loney, joined us towards the end of the show to talk about his experience of writing and publishing the book.
- Most important of all, a lovely local reader phoned in to the show! Prudence from Painswick called to ask us not to reveal the ending, because she still had a couple of chapters to go! She had dashed out to her local bookshop in Stroud when Caroline nominated The Loney on last month’s show, so within an hour of the show’s ending, she was stuck into next month’s big read! It was very rewarding to hear her say how much she enjoys the show.
So, what do you have to read for next month? Dominic, Caroline and I all agreed that it was about time we paid attention to local Gloucestershire author and national treasure Jilly Cooper, whose books, I had to confess, I’ve never read. So, Riders, it is, then – and considering I’m a socialist who is generally left cold by posh people on horses, what will I make of this classic bestseller? Find out on next month’s show on Tuesday 12th July at noon.
Well, I reckon it’s always good to read outside of your comfort zone, and I’m keeping an open mind…
In the meantime, if you’d like to hear the June show, you can catch it on iPlayer between now and then via this link.
- Read my review of The Loney over on Vine Leaves Literary Journal’s “Sampling the Wine” book review blog, of which I’m editor
- Why I review books and why I think all authors should (whether or not they share their reviews in public)
- Have you seen my book blog? It’s on a separate site here: www.debbieyoungsbookblog.com (always one for an obvious name, me!)